Double Taxation

While you are resident in Kizugawa City the government of your home country may apply tax to your income earned in Japan. Double taxation is also a possibility. Some countries (such as the U.S.) have a taxation treaty with Japan and thus are exempt from taxation obligations in their home countries (this can also depend on the terms of your Japanese visa), while other countries (such as the U.K. and Germany) operate a foreign tax credit system whereby tax already paid on earnings in Japan is deducted from the final tax liability. Your tax residency status in your home country may also depend on your length of stay in Japan. It may be helpful to consult with your country’s embassy or consulate, but please be considerate to the fact that most embassy and consular staff are not tax experts and final responsibility for determining your correct tax liability lies with yourself.